Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"Personal Favorites" Exhibition, Museum of White Mountain Art at Jackson

Coinciding with their 13th Annual White Mountain Art Show and Sale, the Jackson Historical Society's Museum of White Mountain Art will have an interesting exhibition called, Personal Favorites (catalog cover above) opening October 23rd. The Museum invited more than 20 collectors of historic White Mountain Art, and four living artists (William R. Davis, Grant Hacking, Erik Koeppel, and Lauren Sansaricq), to select a 'personal favorite' to be included in the show. There is also an engaging essay on collecting White Mountain Art by art historian, Charlie Vogel. I'm honored to be twice included in this exhibition, and will also have numerous paintings for sale in the show and sale opening the same day.

If you stop by the show, be sure to pick up a catalog: 

One collector selected a copy that I made for him after Albert Bierstadt as his personal favorite.

Here are a selection of some of 19th c White Mountain School pieces in the show:

Alfred Wordsworth Thompson (1840-1896)

Benjamin Crackbone Champney (1817-1907)

David Johnson (1827-1908)
There are numerous other fantastic paintings in the show including Alfred Thompson Bricher, John Ross Key, Edward Hill, Frank Henry Shapleigh, and many more.

Here are the pieces I have in the show:

Erik Koeppel (after Albert Bierstadt)  "Moat Mountains, Intervale, NH" 19 x 26 inches Oil on canvas , Private Collection   
....and my personal favorite:

Erik Koeppel "Storm in Tuckerman Ravine" 19 x 28 inches Oil on Canvas, Private Collection 


As part of the catalog I did a short monograph about the painting:



"Erik Koeppel
Storm in Tuckerman Ravine
19 x 28 inches.
Oil on canvas 2015

Monograph:
As a living artist rather than a collector, I must select my Personal Favorite bearing the fact in mind that I have many favorites, and that my favorites are constantly changing. Art reflects life, and as my life changes, so does the focus of my art. The recent focus of my work has been the concept of the sublime; The idea that the awe and terror that one feels when Nature exerts its force in a manner beyond our control is in fact cleansing of the soul, and revealing of the absolute beauty that underlies our existence. Storm in Tuckerman Ravine is my favorite ‘du jour’ because of the way that it epitomizes this concept. In fact nothing speaks to me more of the sublime, than witnessing the weather rolling over Mount Washington. The feeling that this changing weather, in the cool Autumn can be life threatening, is heightened by the intensity of color brought by the season. The minuscule hiker fleeing the scene has been placed to remind the viewer of their own humble place in the picture. My hope is that the viewer of this piece will be inspired with the idea that all things are changing, and we must embrace the beauty before us."

I'll post more on works available at the White Mountain Art Show and Sale. If you'd like a preview the Jackson Historical Society has a listing on their website, which you can find at this link: 


More will be added, and I'll do a blog post on it shorty. I'll also take some photos of the beautiful exhibition space.

Thanks for reading! 

P.S. I've heard from the publisher that my 2nd DVD is not far from completion. Here's the 1st one:


link










INCLUDES


  • Composition Sketch
  • Outdoor Plein Air Study
  • Outdoor Tree at Sunset Study
  • Glazing Demonstration
  • Studio Painting
  • Interview with Fine Art Connoisseur Publisher, B. Eric Rhoads
  • Exhibit of Koeppel paintings
  • 9:37 run time (hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment